The Epicurious iPad app had so many recipes and brilliant pictures that you could plan so many endless weekly meals. I was looking for a quick salmon recipe that packed a little punch. Buffalo Salmon, originally published in Gourmet magazine in May 2008, was simple enough, yet not so memorable that it needed to be a must-make dish. This could be a recipe for a beginner cook.
Makes 6 servings
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's Redhot (I used Cholula)
- 1/3 cup panko
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 (2lb) piece salmon fillet with skin
- Preheat oven to 425 with rack in upper third. Lightly oil a shallow baking pan.
- Melt butter with hot sauce and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper over medium heat. Set aside 1/4 cup sauce.
- Toss panko with oil in a bowl. Put salmon, skin side down, in baking pan and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of each salt and pepper, then brush with remaining sauce. Sprinkle panko evenly over top of fish, then bake until panko is golden and fish is just cooked through, 16 to 22 minutes. Serve reserved sauce on the side.