These chicken meatballs looked so delicious with the creamy sauce and the easiness of the recipe. I was even more intrigued how it would turn out with cooked white rice combined with the chicken. It turned out...well...not so intriguing. The sauce was a bit bland, and the taste got tiring after a while.
I could see how the white rice could save some money, making the meatballs bigger, and only using 1 lb of ground chicken. But if you were going for a sharper taste, skip the rice and maybe add another 1/2 lb of ground chicken or pork. Also, I would add maybe a tsp or two of cayenne pepper. Either way, it was still fun to make and fun to try a new recipe. I served it with chile potato mashers, as you could do that or with some buttered noodles.
Chicken Meatballs in Cream Sauce
The recipe, from blog Natasha's Kitchen, said 6-8 servings. I was only able to get 5 servings, with 4 meatballs per serving. Also, she noted on her blog that these were also called Tefteli, which is the Slavic version of the Swedish meatballs.
for the chicken meatballs:
- 1-1 1/4lb ground chicken
- 1 cup cooked white rice, cooled to room temperature or colder
- 1 large egg
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup flour for dredging
- 2 tbsp oil
for the sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp paprika (or more)
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, 1 cup cooked rice, 1 egg, grated onion, 1 pressed garlic clove, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Mx well. Roll the meat into 1 to 1 1/4" balls, then roll the balls in flour, dusting off excess.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tbsp hot oil. Transfer the meatballs into the skillet and sauté 4 minutes on the first side. Flip them over with tongs, cover and cook another 3 minutes or until golden brown on all sides and cooked through, then remove to a plate.
- In the same pan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter. Whisk in 2 tbsp flour and continue mixing until golden in color. Whisk in 2 cups chicken broth and stir until it starts to thicken. Add 1/4 cup sour cream and season to taste, using paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and stir until sauce thickens enough to lightly coat a meatball. Return meatballs back in pan, turning them to coat. Once the meatballs are warmed up, remove from heat and sprinkle with fresh parsley or dill.