Quick salad that's great for a crowd. I bought a spring mix instead, but you can certainly buy the red leaf lettuce and romaine lettuce. Either way, it's a nice start to a meal.
6 servings, Food Network magazine, October 2013.
- 1/4 baguette, cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 425. Make the croutons: toss the bread cubes with 1 tbsp olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: heat the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the lettuce in a large bowl. Pour warm dressing on top, add the croutons and gently toss. Top with bleu cheese.