NACHO CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
The guilty pleasure for fried chicken, or fried drumsticks, is the crispy skin. Then add the crispiness of tortilla chips with the fried drumsticks will give you these delicious Nachos Chicken Drumsticks. And even though the chicken is quite great, what really rounds out the dish are the pico de gallo and guacamole. The recipe also suggests pickled jalapeños, but the fresh jalapeños in the pico are enough for us.
The recipe is from Food Network Magazine, Jan/Feb 2013. Yields 4-6 servings.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ea 9oz bag tortilla chips (about 7 cups), finely crushed
- 4 ea large eggs
- 12 ea medium chicken drumsticks (about 3 1/2 lb)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar, jack, or muenster cheese
- Fresh salsa, guacamole, pico de gallo, and/or pickled jalapeños, for topping
- Put the flour in a large bowl. Put the crushed chips in another large bowl and whisk the eggs in a third bowl. Toss the drumsticks in the flour. One at a time, dip each drumstick in the beaten egg and dredge in the crushed chips, turning to coat. Place on a baking sheet until ready to fry.
- Preheat oven to 425. Fill a large pot with 3 inches of vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350. Working in batches, fry the drumsticks until golden and cooked through, about 13-15 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. (Let the oil return to 350 between batches.)
- Arrange the drumsticks on a large ovenproof platter and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until cheese melts, about 4 minutes. Top with desired toppings.