This recipe is from Bon Appetit, April 2013 | Yields 4-6 servings
PARMESAN BREAD PUDDING + BROCCOLI RABE + PANCETTA
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 each garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch medium broccoli rabe, trimmed, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 tsp kosher salt [Do not use this amount of salt when seasoning the broccoli rabe. This is for the egg mixture.)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 each large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2lb country-style white bread, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (plus 2 tbsp)
- 6 each thinly sliced pancetta
ONE Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir until garlic is softened, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe; season with salt and pepper [Not the amount above, only a sprinkle of salt and pepper.] Cook, tossing, until wilted, about 2 minutes; let cool slightly.
TWO Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk, 2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper in a large bowl to blend. Add broccoli rabe mixture, bread, and 1/2 cup Parmesan; toss to combine. Transfer to a 1 1/2-qt baking dish. Top with pancetta and the remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan.
THREE Bake pudding until puffed, browned in spots, and set in center, 45-55 minutes.