Rustic Onion Tart
Such a fun and yummy side dish that was both eye appealing and delicious, this Rustic Onion Tart from Cooking Light, April 2011, was just a better side option than warming up a can of peas.
Yields 4 servings. Quick note: I forgot to put the Swiss cheese on top before baking, so you don't see the cheese melted on top.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 lb onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, thyme, salt, and pepper, cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Roll dough out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle feta cheese in center, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border; top with onion. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Fold piecrust border up and over onion mixture, pleating as you go, leaving a 6-inch-wide opening. Combine egg and 2 tbsp water; brush over dough. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes or golden. Cool for 10 minutes.