SIMPLE LEMON CAKE
This cake is, to put it simply, delicious. It is dense and has the right balance of sweet and tartness. This isn't, however, friendly on the fat content, using 1 1/2 sticks of butter and 2 cups of water, yielding 360 calories per slice. But a small slice doesn't hurt because it is such a great dessert.
This recipe is from Everyday Food. Yields 10 servings.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 2 cups all purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 3/4 lb lemons (about 3-4), ends removed, cut into thin slices
- coarse salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- (optional) Raspberries and/or blueberries, whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400. Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep).
- In a medium saucepan, cover lemon slices with 3 cups water. Add pinch of salt, cover, and bring to a boil over high. Boil lemons, partially covered, until very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a food processor. Add butter and process until smooth, scraping down bowl as needed. Add granulated sugar, eggs, and yolks and process to combine. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside. Measure milk in a liquid-measuring cup and add vanilla. In two additions, add flour mixture to lemon mixture, alternating with milk.
- Transfer batter to pan and smooth top. Bake until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 40 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack, 20 minutes, Remove cake from pan and let cool completely on rack, 1 hour. Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve with optional fruits and whipped cream.
The recipe noted that you can store cooled cake, tightly wrapped in plastic, at room temperature, up to 1 day. Enjoy!