SLOPPY JOE BAKED POTATOES
The original recipe was of the same name from Food Network Magazine, Oct 2013, but I changed a few items to use things we had in the kitchen. It was fun to combine different tastes to complete a fun weeknight dish. I'm posting the final recipe that I have cooked tonight, but not the changes that I have done from the magazine's recipe.
- 4 each russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 lb ground pork or turkey
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup gojuchang sauce (Korean condiment. If not, you can use sweet chili sauce)
- 1/4 cup sweet barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Pierce the potatoes in a few places with a fork. Place potatoes on a microwave safe place and microwave for 7 minutes, turn them over, and microwave for another 7 minutes. Turn them over again, and microwave for an additional 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until celery is tender and mushrooms have cooked down.
- Add pork (or turkey), season with salt and pepper, and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Cook until surface of meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add ketchup, gojuchang, barbecue sauce, and 1/2 cup water, and chili powder. Continue to cook until meat is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Split the baked potatoes open lengthwise, dot with remaining butter and gently fluffy the flesh with a fork. Top with meat mixture and sprinkle with cheese while still hot.
4 servings. Delicious!