Spicy + Crispy Drumsticks
Not sure where to start with this dish because the drumsticks came out neither spicy nor crispy. It seemed simple enough: mix some spices with breadcrumbs, make sure the mix stuck to the drumsticks, and bake them to the right temperature. But somehow this recipe just fell short. I doubled the cayenne pepper, yet it barely came out with any spice. The crispy part didn't even happen, I mean, there was a small tiny crunch when I bit into it and that was it. But all in all, it was still at least a dinner dish that was healthier than fried chicken drumsticks, just the flavor and crunchiness wasn't there.
Side note: Sorry for the bad picture! I forgot to take the pic so I had to grab it out of the fridge.
From Chicken Tonight, a Williams-Sonoma cookbook by Kate McMillan, this was a second miss from the recipe book. She did well with side dishes, however, but too bad for two missed chicken dishes, especially when that was the title of the book. The recipe serves 4-6.
- 1 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 chicken drumsticks, about 1 1/2 lb total
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray and line with aluminum foil.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a large zippered plastic bag and add the salt, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne. Seal the bag and shake until the spice mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Brush the drumsticks with the melted butter and add them, 2 at a time, to the bag. Seal the bag and shake until the drumsticks are nicely coated with the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the drumsticks on the prepared pan (Use your hand to press any leftover breadcrumbs onto the drumsticks.) Bake, turning once about halfway through, until the chicken is opaque throughout (no pink should show when you cut in next to a bone, and the chicken juices should run clear), about 40 minutes. Serve right away.