SPICY PAN-FRIED NOODLES + TOFU
Quite spicy and delicious as I doubled the recipe while skipping the carrots. Since I was not a big fan of cooked carrots, I simply just used the cabbage. The dish, from Fine Cooking, was versatile in what noodles you would want to use, or even the vegetables that could go into a stir fry. I served this alongside baked chicken, and it was well received, even though the picture was crappy.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sriracha; more for serving
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 12 to 14 oz extra-firm or pressed tofu, patted dry and cut into 3/4-in cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 lb cooked Asian-style noodles, such as udon or yakisoba (I used soba noodles)
- 6 medium scallions, cut into 1-in lengths, white and dark green parts separated
- 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- Whisk the soy sauce, sugar, lime juice, Sriracha, garlic, and 2 tbsp water in a small bowl; set aside. (For even sharper flavors, skip the water)
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a 14-in wok or 12-in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add the tofu, season generously with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add another 1 tbsp oil to the pan, and then add the carrots. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and well browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with tofu.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil, the cooked noodles, and the scallion whites to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are browned in spots and the scallions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the sauce and then carefully pout it over the noodles; the mixture will steam. Toss well to coat and cook, stirring, until the sauce is reduced to a sticky glaze, about 2 minutes.
- Return the tofu and carrots to the wok. Add the cabbage and the scallion greens and toss well. Serve with lime wedges and additional Sriracha if desired.