From Cooking Light's cookbook Comfort Food, I was looking forward to try this recipe because I loved rice casseroles. It was quite easy, and the creaminess of the dish paired well with chicken or pork chops. There is a bit of preparation before assembling the dish, but all the steps are easy. Just make sure to read through the entire recipe. Yields 8 servings.
- 8 cups sliced zucchini (about 2 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4oz) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup (1oz) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divdied
- 1/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; partially mash with a potato masher.
- Combine zucchini mixture, rice, cheddar cheese, sour cream, 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl; stir gently. Spoon mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Remove casserole from oven.
- Preheat broiler. Broil 1 minute or until lightly browned.