TRULY BEST CHICKEN SALAD
The many variations of a basic and classic chicken salad are out there, everywhere. Many claim to be the best one, and yes, there are some really fantastic ones, especially the chicken salad from HEB. If you're not familiar with this Texas-based grocery conglomerate, too bad, because their chicken salad is definitely worth the extra calories.
But to pick one for the home variation, and I have tried a teensy few, this is one of the best ones out there. Stemmed from the now-defunct Everyday Food magazine from Martha Stewart, this recipe sticks true to the simple chicken salad, as it needs to be. No too crazy gimmicks to make this classic dish pop, it's just a darn good one. Makes 6 servings.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups shredded roasted chicken
- 1/2 of a small red onion, chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Stir together mayonnaise, buttermilk, mustard, lemon juice, and hot pepper sauce.
- Stir in chicken, celery, onion, and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy as a sandwich or with crackers. Chicken salad can be refrigerated up to 3 days in an airtight container.